Last Updated: January 24, 2014
Recent news articles and news releases from the Harrisonburg Fire Department:
- January 24, 2014 - Have you registered for the Harrisonburg/Rockingham Emergency Alert System? If not, be sure to do that today to receive emergency notices as they occur. Find out more about how the system works.
- November 8, 2013 - The Lego Clubs from Skyline Middle and Thomas Harrison Middle Schools developed their projects around wildfires this year. We had a wonderful time talking with these students and really enjoyed hearing about their projects. Kudos to all of the kids, their parents, and the teachers who made this such a fun activity!
- November 4, 2013 - A tractor trailer ran off of Interstate 81 Monday striking a utility pole and downing power lines. The interstate was closed for many hours causing a huge backup with traffic in and around the City. Thanks to photographer Allen Litten for taking these photos at the scene.
- November 1, 2013 - Daylight Saving Time ends on Sunday, November 3. Your clocks will "Fall" back one hour. That is a great day to check your smoke alarms and plan a fire drill with your family. For details on how to make your family fire escape plan visit the National Fire Protection Association webpage. For more information contact the Harrisonburg Fire Department at 540-432-7703.
- September 30, 2013 - HFD Prevention recently taught a class on the Bullex Fire Extinguishing System at Massanutten Technical School. A great group of students who are training to be our next firefighters. Check out the photos on Flickr.
- September 28, 2013 - HFD Personnel helped load food into a truck for the Salvation Army Food Drive at Red Front Supermarket. The event was led by Bucky Berry and his son Brent.
- September 25, 2013 - Stovetop Firestops save several more lives and apartments in Harrisonburg. Read more. [34KB]
- September 18, 2013 - This is National Campus Fire Safety Month! New photos added to the HFD Flickr page showing RA training at JMU!
- August 28, 2013 - Press Release [11KB] about Stovetop Firestop devices. We now have a limited number that Harrisonburg and Rockingham County fire personnel will be installing in homes. See press release for more details.
- August 22, 2013 - Press Release [78KB] from Fire Marshal concerning the fire at Valley Pool & Spa.
- August 21, 2013 - A second alarm structure fire at Valley Pool & Spa completely gutted the building. At this time no injuries have been reported.
- August 18, 2013 - HFD assists county firefighters with a structure fire. There was a fire fatality at the scene. We do not know the cause of this fire or if they had working smoke alarms but this is a good reminder to make sure your home is protected with a working smoke alarm!
- August 14, 2013 - HFD Smoke Alarm and Pizza Night statistics from our July event - posted online.
- August 6, 2013 - We had lots of fun traveling around the City to meet residents during the 2013 National Night Out event with the Harrisonburg Police Department. Fun times, great food, and wonderful weather for the event.
- July 29, 2013 - A ceremony was held on July 29 to promote Master Firefighter Trevor Nelson to Lieutenant. Lt. Nelson will be assigned to Engine 23 "B" Shift. Congratulations Lt. Nelson! Check out the photos of the ceremony on the HFD Flickr page.
- July 17, 2013 - Photos from the Free Pizza/Free Smoke Alarm Event. More details to come on how many pizzas were delivered and how many smoke alarms were checked!
- May 5-11 is National Arson Awareness Week 2013. The public can be engaged in Arson Awareness Week by implementing neighborhood cleanups along with improving internal and external security for their homes and especially vacant properties. If you have any questions about Arson Awareness please contact the HFD Fire Administration Offices at 540-432-7703.
- May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. Motorcyclist fatalities increased in 2011 to 4,612, accounting for 14 percent of total fatalities for the year. Now that warmer weather is right around the corner, motorcyclists will soon be out in force. Drivers of cars, trucks and buses are reminded to look out for and share the road with motorcycle riders.
- JMU Interns have been assisting the HFD Prevention program for several years. Today, intern Kevin Regan, received a ride in our 1954 American La France Ladder Truck. Congratulations to Kevin on his graduation May 4th from JMU and his commissioning in the United States Army as a Second Lieutenant. We are proud of all your accomplishments!
- May is National Electric Safety Month. This year's theme is Electrical Safety for All Ages. Each year, electrical failures are the cause of 43,900 home fires, resulting in 438 deaths, 1,430 injuries and $1.47 billion in property damage. While electrical hazards threaten the public at large, certain populations experience risks that are significantly higher than that of the general population. Our youngest and oldest populations are exceptionally vulnerable. Since 1999, an average of 496 children ages 14 and under have died each year due to unintentional fire or burn-related injury. As for the older population, the risk for individuals aged 65 and older dying in a fire is 2.6 times greater than that of the general population, and this risk increases with age. If you have any questions about electrical safety, please call the Fire Department administrative offices at 540-432-7703.