Last Updated: December 1, 2015
Recent news articles and news releases from the Harrisonburg Fire Department:
- October 26, 2015 - With colder temperatures this week it is time to have your chimneys cleaned and inspected! Make sure your smoke alarms and CO Alarms are working and practice a home fire escape drill. The winter months are the leading time of year for home fires. Check your chimney before using the first time for cracks or creosote build up, check your smoke and CO alarms and plan a fire exit drill with your family. Let's all work together to make this a safe and happy winter season!
- October 2, 2015 - HFD prepares for Fire Prevention Week at Valley Mall; 10-5-15 through 10-10-15. [305KB] Press release.
- September 24, 2015 - Unattended candles start fire resulting in total loss of a city home. [272KB] Press release.
- May 11, 2015 - City approves ordinance to regulate combustible landscaping. View the ordinance, press release, and FAQ on the HFD mulch webpage.
- February 1, 2015 - MFF Jamie Rickard has retired after 22 years of service with the Harrisonburg Fire Department. We wish him well on his retirement. Photos from his reception have been added to the HFD Flickr page.
- February 1, 2015 - Lt. J. T. Turner has retired after 25 years of service with the Harrisonburg Fire Department. We wish him a happy retirement! Photos from his retirement reception have been added to our Flickr page.
- February 12, 2015 - Give your child the best hug in the world! Child safety seat check on February 12, 2015 at Station 1, 80 Maryland Ave. Receive a free "Valentine" while supplies last! Call Ariel at 540-810-0527 for further information or to schedule your appointment!
- January 30, 2015 - Master FF Chandler has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. Photos from the promotional ceremony have been added to the HFD Flickr page. Congratulations to Lieutenant Chandler!
- January 17, 2015 - Another StoveTop FireStop save in Harrisonburg. An apartment fire on Reservoir Street was contained to the stove and cabinet after StoveTop FireStops activated. This makes approximately 12 activations in Harrisonburg that have saved property and injuries.
- November 19, 2014 - Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation celebrated the donation of equipment to Harrisonburg Police Department, Harrisonburg Fire Department, and JMU Police Department today at Firehouse Subs in Harrisonburg. The Fire Department received a generous donation of StoveTop FireStops, Carbon Monoxide Alarms and a large notepad to be used during demonstrations. Photos from the event can be found on the HFD Flickr page.