Last Updated: July 23, 2014
Recent news articles and news releases from the Harrisonburg Fire Department:
- May 22, 2014 - The Rider Alert motorcycle-safety program was launched in Richmond, Virginia, on April 12, 2011, and is spreading rapidly throughout the state and nation. The program, designed to help save lives, provides free identification data cards that will help first responders provide rapid and accurate medical assistance to motorcyclists involved in serious accidents. Rider Alert cards are placed inside rider's helmets and contain vital, life-saving information, emergency contact and any important medical history. When first responders arrive on the scene of a motorcycle accident, a one-inch, round sticker on the outside of the helmet will indicate that the biker has the Rider Alert card. The sticker also warns bystanders not to remove the helmet, which could prevent further injury. Check out the photos from a press conference that was held in Harrisonburg to stress the importance of wearing a helmet.
- May 15, 2014 - The new ladder truck has been placed in service ready to serve the citizens of Harrisonburg! Check out the photos from Captain Allison showing three of our ladder trucks together.
- April 3, 2014 - The Rockingham County School Board recognized HFD Chief Larry Shifflett and Rockingham County Chief Jeremy Holloway for their contribution to the Massanutten Technical Center Fire and Rescue program a their regular monthly meeting April 2, 2014. Many of our young firefighters received their training at Massanutten Technical Center Fire and Rescue Program. Photos from the ceremony also showcase the winners of the regional Skills USA competition are posted on the HFD Flickr page.
- April 2, 2014 - The new HFD Ladder Tower has arrived! A few more weeks and it will be in service! But for now check out the photos!
- January 24, 2014 - Have you registered for the Harrisonburg/Rockingham Emergency Alert System? If not, be sure to do that today to receive emergency notices as they occur. Find out more about how the system works.
- November 8, 2013 - The Lego Clubs from Skyline Middle and Thomas Harrison Middle Schools developed their projects around wildfires this year. We had a wonderful time talking with these students and really enjoyed hearing about their projects. Kudos to all of the kids, their parents, and the teachers who made this such a fun activity!
- November 4, 2013 - A tractor trailer ran off of Interstate 81 Monday striking a utility pole and downing power lines. The interstate was closed for many hours causing a huge backup with traffic in and around the City. Thanks to photographer Allen Litten for taking these photos at the scene.
- November 1, 2013 - Daylight Saving Time ends on Sunday, November 3. Your clocks will "Fall" back one hour. That is a great day to check your smoke alarms and plan a fire drill with your family. For details on how to make your family fire escape plan visit the National Fire Protection Association webpage. For more information contact the Harrisonburg Fire Department at 540-432-7703.
- September 30, 2013 - HFD Prevention recently taught a class on the Bullex Fire Extinguishing System at Massanutten Technical School. A great group of students who are training to be our next firefighters. Check out the photos on Flickr.
- September 28, 2013 - HFD Personnel helped load food into a truck for the Salvation Army Food Drive at Red Front Supermarket. The event was led by Bucky Berry and his son Brent.
- September 25, 2013 - Stovetop Firestops save several more lives and apartments in Harrisonburg. Read more. [34KB]
- September 18, 2013 - This is National Campus Fire Safety Month! New photos added to the HFD Flickr page showing RA training at JMU!
- August 28, 2013 - Press Release [11KB] about Stovetop Firestop devices. We now have a limited number that Harrisonburg and Rockingham County fire personnel will be installing in homes. See press release for more details.
- August 22, 2013 - Press Release [78KB] from Fire Marshal concerning the fire at Valley Pool & Spa.
- August 21, 2013 - A second alarm structure fire at Valley Pool & Spa completely gutted the building. At this time no injuries have been reported.
- August 18, 2013 - HFD assists county firefighters with a structure fire. There was a fire fatality at the scene. We do not know the cause of this fire or if they had working smoke alarms but this is a good reminder to make sure your home is protected with a working smoke alarm!
- August 14, 2013 - HFD Smoke Alarm and Pizza Night statistics from our July event - posted online.
- August 6, 2013 - We had lots of fun traveling around the City to meet residents during the 2013 National Night Out event with the Harrisonburg Police Department. Fun times, great food, and wonderful weather for the event.
- July 29, 2013 - A ceremony was held on July 29 to promote Master Firefighter Trevor Nelson to Lieutenant. Lt. Nelson will be assigned to Engine 23 "B" Shift. Congratulations Lt. Nelson! Check out the photos of the ceremony on the HFD Flickr page.
- July 17, 2013 - Photos from the Free Pizza/Free Smoke Alarm Event. More details to come on how many pizzas were delivered and how many smoke alarms were checked!