• Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 80%

How Do I Request Public Records or Statistics?

Under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) you have the right to examine public records. The City Manager's Office handles any official FOIA requests, please visit the Records page for more information on filing a FOIA request.

Requests for police reports, background checks, fingerprints or other services must be made in person or by mail - Public Safety Building, 101 North Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22802. (Requests for background checks must include a signed waiver or notarized letter.)  More information and request forms for the Police Department.

To request records from the Commissioner of the Revenue, you may direct your request to Chief Deputy Karen Rose. She can be reached at 540-432-7704 or at Karen.Rose@harrisonburgva.gov. You may also contact her with questions you have concerning requesting records from the Commissioner of the Revenue.

If you are simply seeking information and do not wish to file a FOIA or an official request, please use the search feature of this website or view the Department Contacts page which contains contact information for each city department.