Last Updated: March 15, 2018
Best Practices and Tips for Efficient Collection
- Apartment complexes and businesses with private trash haulers should continue to separate their recyclables and general waste. The City will continue to collect recycling from these customers.
- Food items should be removed from containers and not placed in the trash. Composting is encouraged.
- Dump out liquids before throwing away containers (example: milk, juice, water, soda, grease, etc.).
- Remove hazardous items (example: Lead Acid, NiCd, Li-ion, and NiMH batteries, needles, motor oil, cleaners, fluorescent bulbs, paint, herbicides, pesticides, etc.). It is recommended to dispose of those items during the Household Hazardous Waste Collection events.
- Sign up for trash alerts by visiting the Notify Harrisonburg webpage. You will be notified when the collection schedule changes due to holidays or inclement weather.
Materials NOT Accepted by the sanitation department:
- Large quantities of materials resulting from construction, demolition, or remodeling of buildings.
- Bulky items such as motor vehicles or large metal scraps.
- *To dispose of unwanted vehicles for a good cause, contact www.wheelsforwishes.org.
- Certain commercial sized appliances.
- Materials that create strong odors.
- Materials from land clearing such as stumps, rocks, concrete, brick or dirt.
- Dead animals.
- Medical wastes.
Questions? Call Public Works at 540-434-5928.