The Garbers Church Road Shared Use Path project consists of sidewalk and shared-use path improvements along Garbers Church Road, between Garbers Church Road and Thomas Harrison Middle School, and between Thomas Harrison Middle School and Westover Park. The project will connect schools, parks, and residential neighborhoods, and will extend the sidewalk and path constructed as part of the new Bluestone Elementary School.
The sidewalk portion of the project was constructed along the east side of Garbers Church Road, connecting the Bluestone Elementary School entrance to Park Lawn Drive. A diagram of the existing and planned shared-use paths is shown below. More information on the path connection to Westover Park [2MB].
November 9, 2017 Public Meeting Materials - initial proposed alignments. Updated alignment in the map above.
Poster 1: Garbers Church Shared Use Path
Poster 2: Garbers Church Shared Use Path [1.0MB]
Poster 3: Garbers Church Shared Use Path [1.5MB]
Poster 4: Garbers Church Shared Use Path [0.8MB]
Poster 5: Garbers Church Shared Use Path [3.5MB]
Poster 6: Garbers Church Shared Use Path [2.1MB]
- November 2016 – VHB under contract for engineering services
- January 2017 - Citizen Information Meeting to share concepts and receive public input
- Late 2017 – Design Public Hearing to show proposed route and receive feedback
- January 23, 2018 – Presentation to City Council; Public Hearing
- 2019-2020 – Right of way
- Fall/Winter 2020 - Path Naming Survey and Community Vote
- January 2021 - Path Name announced by City Council
- Spring 2021 – Construction
Questions? Contact Thomas Hartman, PE at Tom.Hartman@harrisonburgva.gov or 540-434-5928.