Draft Comprehensive Plan Text and Maps ( All files in PDF format)
Draft chapters of the Comprehensive Plan have been compiled with a combination of inputs from the 2011 Comprehensive Plan, Planning Commission, Advisory Committees and city staff during Spring and Summer of 2017. The public comment period is open between October 9, 2017 and November 28, 2017, and includes four public workshops. Comments may be submitted at the workshops, by emailing Thanh.Dang@harrisonburgva.gov, or writing to the Department of Planning & Community Development, c/o Thanh Dang, City Planner, 409 South Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.
Community members are encouraged to attend one or all of the Fall Public Workshops scheduled for October and November 2017. Fall workshops schedule and location information.
Notes about the files below:
- The "All Draft Comprehensive Plan Chapters" file can be downloaded and printed double sided. Text pages in the "All Draft Comprehensive Plan Chapters" file are sized 8.5"x11" and map pages are sized 11"x17".
- Draft chapters and maps can also be downloaded individually. Readers are given the option to download maps sized as 11"x17" or 24"x36". Many of the 24"x36" sized maps contain greater detail than the 11"x17" sized maps.
All Draft Comprehensive Plan Chapters except Chapters 6, 7, and 12 [24.5MB] - Chapters 6, 7, and 12 and associated maps will be available online around October 27, 2017
Draft Chapter 1 Introduction [198KB]
Draft Chapter 2 Vision and Goals [135KB] - this chapter will be updated around October 27, 2017
Draft Chapter 3 Implementation [133KB]
Draft Chapter 4 Planning Context [575KB]
Historic Growth 11"x17" map [825KB]
Historic Growth 24"x26" map [2.83MB]
Draft Chapter 6 Land Use and Development Quality - this chapter and associated maps will be available online around October 27, 2017
Existing Land Use map
Land Use Guide map
Draft Chapter 7 Neighborhoods and Housing - this chapter will be available online around October 27, 2017
Historic Districts 11x"17" map [813KB]
Historic Districts 24"x36" map [2.04MB]
Land Cover 11"x17" map [10.6MB]
Land Cover 24"x36" map [1.64MB]
Parks and Recreation 11"x17" [813KB]
Parks and Recreation 24"x36" [1.70MB]
Draft Chapter 12 Transportation - this chapter and associated maps will be available online around October 27, 2017
Street Network map
2017 Traffic Volume-to-Capacity map
2040 Traffic Volume-to-Capacity map
Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities map
Street Improvement Plan map
Water Service map 11"x17" [760KB]
Water Service map 24"x36" [2.54MB]
Sanitary Sewer Service map 24"x36" [2.46KB]
Public Safety Services map 24"x36" [2.84MB]
Draft Chapter 15 Revitalization [176KB]
- More on the Comprehensive Plan Update.
- Review the work of staff, Planning Commission, and Advisory Committees.
- Sign up for the Comprehensive Plan e-newsletter to receive announcements and updates.
- Submit comments to Planning Commission and Advisory Committees.
- 2011 Comprehensive Plan Text and Maps