Apply to Serve on a Committee - Apply now!
The Comprehensive Plan presents a vision of Harrisonburg’s future. It identifies steps to move toward that vision by providing information about current conditions, long-term goals and objectives, and recommended implementation strategies. As described in the Code of Virginia, the Comprehensive Plan is general in nature. Harrisonburg's Plan addresses a wide range of issues including but not limited to: land use, housing, education, transportation, recreation, the preservation of historic and natural resources, and economic development. The plan serves as a long-term guide for the community, and it helps City leaders with setting policies and decision-making.
Virginia requires that at least once every five years local Planning Commissions review their locality's Comprehensive Plan to determine whether it should be updated. The City of Harrisonburg's Comprehensive Plan was last updated in 2011. Planning Commissioners have determined in 2016 that the Comprehensive Plan will be updated. The City will begin soliciting public input and drafting the new plan between 2017-2018.
Stay up to date with the Comprehensive Plan update and find out about opportunities to share your ideas by signing up for the Comprehensive Plan Update notifications.
Community members are invited to attend information sessions to learn about the Comprehensive Plan and how they can get involved.
- Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 6:00pm,
- Tuesday, February 21 at 1:00pm, or
- Saturday, February 25 at 9:00am
Location: City Council Chambers, 409 South Main Street, Harrisonburg.
Sessions will run approximately one hour.
Four (4) advisory committees will be formed to help guide the Comprehensive Plan update. Each committee will focus on a different set of topic areas.
- Committee 1: Land Use & Transportation
- Chapter 5: Land Use & Development Quality, Chapter 6: Neighborhoods & Housing, and Chapter 11: Transportation
- Committee 2: Education & Culture
- Chapter: 7: Education and Chapter 8: Arts, Culture, & Historic Resources
- Committee 3: Community Facilities
- Chapter 9: Natural Resources, Chapter 10: Parks & Recreation, and Chapter 12: Community Infrastructure, Services, Safety & Health
- Committee 4: Economic Development
- Chapter 13: Economic Development & Tourism, Chapter 14: Revitalization, and Downtown Harrisonburg
If you are interested in serving on an advisory committee, please complete an application below in one of two ways:
- Online Form - complete the application and submit directly online
- [194KB] Printed Application - Printed and completed applications can be submitted in person or by mail to Planning Commission c/o Thanh Dang, Department of Planning and Community Development, 409 South Main Street (2nd Floor), Harrisonburg, VA 22801.
Have questions? Check out the Comprehensive Plan Update Questions and Answers page.
Applications are due by March 1, 2017. Planning Commission is anticipated to make appointments at their March 8, 2017 meeting.
|Phase 1: Pre-Planning. Design process and public engagement plan, update baseline data, host information sessions, appoint committee members||Fall 2016-Spring 2017|
|Phase 2: Plan Development. Review/develop draft goals and objectives (in committees), host public input meetings, write plan, etc.||Spring 2017-Spring-2018|
|Phase 3. Plan Review & Adoption. Host public meeting, comment period, incorporate comments and finalize plan, present to Planning Commission and City Council.||Spring 2018-Winter 2018/2019|
|Phase 4: Plan Implementation. Implement actions after Comprehensive Plan Adoption||Winter 2018/2019|
The 2011 Comprehensive Plan was adopted by City Council on May 10, 2011. Read the 2011 Comprehensive Plan.