The City of Harrisonburg's Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee was established in 2010 by the Harrisonburg Transportation Safety and Advisory Commission (TSAC) following City Council action to formally add bicycle and pedestrian matters as an additional area of responsibility of the commission.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee's members are Harrisonburg citizens appointed by the Commission and serve three year terms. The subcommittee is facilitated by Public Works Department staff who works together with the subcommittee and other community stakeholders to identify needs and opportunities for making Harrisonburg more walk and bike friendly.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee is an advisory committee with the following duties:
- To advise city staff and Transportation Safety and Advisory Commission on bicycle and pedestrian related matters,
- To assist in implementation and achieving the goals of the City Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan,
- To work with the City to achieve safe bicycle and pedestrian connectivity for all citizens,
- To solicit input and feedback from community members and local advocates on bicycling and pedestrian matters,* and
- To serve as the body through which the update of the City Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan takes place (approximately every five years as the Comprehensive Plan is updated).
*Note: The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee is advisory and not an advocacy group.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee generally meets on the fourth Monday of every other month, during the months of January, March, May, July, September, and November. Meetings are at 6:00pm at City Council Chambers, 409 South Main Street, Harrisonburg. Meetings are always open to the public and citizens are encouraged to attend.
Anticipated 2017 Meeting Schedule:
- Monday, January 23
- Monday, March 27
- Monday, May 22
- Monday, July 24
- Monday, September 25
- Monday, November 27
Questions for the subcommittee and requests to be added to a future subcommittee agenda may be submitted by email to email@example.com or by calling 540-434-5928.
Sign up online to join our mailing list to receive meeting agendas, and biking and walking updates.