The City of Harrisonburg's Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee was established in 2010 by the Harrisonburg Transportation Safety and Advisory Commission (TSAC) following City Council action to formally add bicycle and pedestrian matters as an additional area of responsibility of the commission.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee's members are Harrisonburg citizens appointed by the Commission and serve three-year terms. The subcommittee is facilitated by Public Works Department staff who works together with the subcommittee and other community stakeholders to identify needs and opportunities for making Harrisonburg more walk and bike-friendly.
**Applications to serve on the Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee are currently being accepted. If interested in serving on this subcommittee, complete the application form below, and submit it to Jakob.Zumfelde@harrisonburgva.gov by November 6, 2020. Appointments will be made by the Transportation Safety & Advisory Commission at its December meeting, with member terms beginning in January 2021.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee is an advisory committee with the following duties:
- To advise city staff and Transportation Safety and Advisory Commission on bicycle and pedestrian related matters,
- To assist in implementation and achieving the goals of the City Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan,
- To work with the City to achieve safe bicycle and pedestrian connectivity for all citizens,
- To solicit input and feedback from community members and local advocates on bicycling and pedestrian matters,* and
- To serve as the body through which the update of the City Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan takes place (approximately every five years as the Comprehensive Plan is updated).
*Note: The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee is an advisory and not an advocacy group.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee meets are scheduled for the fourth Monday of odd months (every other month) at 6:00pm, and are held virtually.
In accordance with the Emergency Ordinance to effectuate temporary changes in certain deadlines and to modify public meeting and public hearing practices and procedures to address continuity of operations associated with pandemic disaster, adopted on April 6, 2020, the public will not be able to physically attend Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee meetings at this time.
Community members and media will be able to watch the meeting live on:
- The City's website, https://harrisonburg-va.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx
- Public Education Government Channel 3
Public comments must be received by 12:00pm (noon) the day prior to the meeting and will be shared with Commission members. Please email comments to: Jakob.Zumfelde@harrisonburgva.gov
The agenda is posted on the City's website at https://harrisonburg-va.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx
Questions for the subcommittee and requests to be added to a future subcommittee agenda may be submitted by email to email@example.com or by calling 540-434-5928.
Meeting Agendas and Summaries for September 28, 2020 and after can be found at: https://harrisonburg-va.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx
Meeting Agendas and Summaries Prior to September 2020:
Sign up online to join our mailing list to receive meeting agendas, and biking and walking updates.