The City of Harrisonburg's Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee was established in 2010 by the Harrisonburg Transportation Safety and Advisory Commission (TSAC) following City Council action to formally add bicycle and pedestrian matters as an additional area of responsibility of the commission.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee's members are Harrisonburg citizens appointed by the Commission and serve three year terms. The subcommittee is facilitated by Public Works Department staff who works together with the subcommittee and other community stakeholders to identify needs and opportunities for making Harrisonburg more walk and bike friendly.
**Applications to serve on the Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee will be accepted during the month of October (2016).
There will be two vacancies to fill, due to expiring terms of existing members. If interested in serving on this subcommittee, complete the application form below, and submit it to Erin.Yancey@harrisonburgva.gov no later than October 31, 2016. New members will be appointed by the Transportation Safety Advisory Commission at its December 14th meeting, and new members will begin serving in January 2017. Additional information about the duties of the committee can be found below.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee is an advisory committee with the following duties:
- To advise city staff and Transportation Safety and Advisory Commission on bicycle and pedestrian related matters,
- To assist in implementation and achieving the goals of the City Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan,
- To work with the City to achieve safe bicycle and pedestrian connectivity for all citizens,
- To solicit input and feedback from community members and local advocates on bicycling and pedestrian matters,* and
- To serve as the body through which the update of the City Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan takes place (approximately every five years as the Comprehensive Plan is updated).
*Note: The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee is advisory and not an advocacy group.
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Subcommittee generally meets on the fourth Monday of every other month, during the months of January, March, May, July, September, and November. Meetings are at 6:00pm at City Council Chambers, 409 South Main Street, Harrisonburg. Meetings are always open to the public and citizens are encouraged to attend.
Anticipated 2016 Meeting Schedule:
- Monday, January 25
- Monday, February 29
- Monday, May 23
- Monday, July 25
- Monday, September 26
- Monday, November 28
Questions for the subcommittee and requests to be added to a future subcommittee agenda may be submitted by email to email@example.com or by calling 540-434-5928.
Sign up online to join our mailing list to receive meeting agendas, and biking and walking updates.