Who can register to vote?
To vote in Harrisonburg, you must:
- Be a resident of Virginia (a person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes).
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be 18 years old (any person who is 17 years old and will be 18 years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election).
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state.
- Not currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law.
- If convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored.
How do I register to vote?
First, fill out a voter registration application form which can be obtained by:
- Calling the Registrar's office at 540-432-7707
- Online: Registration Application
- State or local government offices when applying or re-certifying for Aid to Dependent Children, Food Stamps, WIC, Medicaid, or Rehabilitation Services
- Government offices in the State that provide State-funded programs primarily engaged in providing services to person with disabilities
- Armed forces recruitment offices
- Public libraries
- State Board of Elections office
- Department of Motor Vehicles offices
- Voter Registration Drives
The completed application can be filed with or mailed to the City Registrar Office at 345 South Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22801. Application for registration can be submitted using a Virginia Voter Registration Application form or a National Voter Registration Application form. Military and other persons residing outside of the United States should contact the Federal Voting Assistance Program for registration information.
Once you have submitted your registration form, you should receive a voter registration card in the mail. If you do not receive one, contact the Registrar's Office at 540-432-7707 to make sure that your application has been processed.
Am I registered?
You can check to see if you are already registered to vote by by going to the State Board of Elections website.