[942KB] Trash collection map.
Refuse and recycling pickup for holidays: Holiday Schedule.
Containers are to be placed on the back of the curb on the property line by 7:00am on the collection day and not before 4:00pm on the day previous to pick up.
For the Downtown Central Business District, containers should be placed out for pick up between 6:00am and 11:00am on the scheduled collection day.
All refuse should be in leak free bags or containers and not weigh more than 75 pounds or have more than a 35 gallon capacity.
Bundles: Maximum size = 4 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet high. Maximum weight = 75 pounds. Maximum limb diameter is 2 inches. Must be bounded or tied with a binder strong enough to permit handling.
If bags or containers fail during handling the property owner or occupant will assume clean up. The trash container should have outside handles.
Yard Debris and Bulk Collection information.
- Building waste, debris, manufacturing scraps, bricks, concrete, and rocks cannot be placed in our trucks.
- No warm or hot ashes.
- To protect our employees, please wrap broken glass and other sharp items with paper to prevent puncturing containers or bags.
- Garbage must be drained of liquid before placing in containers.
- Material that is not acceptable for collection will be tagged explaining the reason for non acceptance. Empty containers and non acceptable refuse shall be removed from pick up point and stored away from public view.
- Regular residential and commercial collections that are cancelled due to holidays or inclement weather will be collected on the following workday, unless otherwise noted on the Holiday Schedule.
- Debris resulting from the work of contractor services must be removed by the owner or contractor which includes brush, grass, and building materials.
- Apartment complexes with six or more units and boarding houses must have special storage areas for containers. Refer to Section 6-2-38 of the Harrisonburg City Code for requirements.
Materials NOT accepted by the sanitation department:
- Hazardous materials as listed by the current Federal Environmental Protection Agency. Briefly these are materials which are chemically active, toxic, or pose a fire threat.
- Large quantities of materials resulting from construction, demolition, or remolding of buildings. "Large" or unusual quantities will be determined by the landfill supervisor or his agent.
- Bulky items such as motor vehicles or large metal scraps.
- Certain commercial sized appliances.
- Materials that create strong odors.
- Any material whose source is outside the corporate of Harrisonburg will not be collected.
- Materials from land clearing such as stumps, rocks, concrete, brick, or dirt.
- Any material that is environmentally questionable.
- Materials hauled by anyone whose accounts are not current with the City.
- Dead animals or animal feces.
- Medical wastes, e.g., gauze, tubing and syringes.
For materials not accepted in the weekly collection, please consider the annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection to properly dispose of other materials.
Questions? Call Public Works at 540-434-5928.