City of Harrisonburg offices will be closed Wednesday, July 4, 2018 in observance of Independence Day.
City offices will reopen Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 8:00am.
Refuse and recycling for Central Business District on Wednesday, July 4 is cancelled. Normal collection will resume on Thursday, July 5.
Please hold bulk and yard debris for July 4 until next collection date of July 18.
The Recycling Convenience Center will be closed.
Bus service: There will be no bus service on Independence Day.
- Safety tips from the Harrisonburg Fire Department for July 4th.
Fireworks: The sale, use, or possession of fireworks is illegal in the City of Harrisonburg. Illegal fireworks will be confiscated. (City Code Section 16-6-57.)
- Valley Fourth Event Information - Valley 4th Run, Cook-off, and more!
Official Street Closures for Valley Fourth activities will be as follows:
7:00am – 12:00pm
- Both lanes of South Main Street will be closed from MLK Jr. Way to Gay Street.
- Court Square will be closed.
- The following side streets leading to S Main St. will be closed:
- From Main to Federal St: Grattan, Paul, Campbell, Franklin, E Bruce, Newman, E Water, E Market, E Elizabeth, E Wolfe, E Rock.
- From Main to Liberty St: W Market, W Bruce, W Water, Graham, W Elizabeth, W Rock.
- The left lane of Liberty Street from Gay Street to Grattan will be closed; the right lane of Liberty will remain open to south-bound traffic.
- All streets will reopen by 12:00pm on July 4; apart from Warren St, which will remain closed until 11:00pm.
- Warren St will be closed.
- No roads will be closed for fireworks.
- The upper portion of Westover Park (disc golf course, playground, shelters, Senior Center) will be closed to vehicles and pedestrians beginning at 1:00pm; the lower portion of Westover Park (Westover Pool) will be closed to vehicles and pedestrians beginning at 5:00pm on July 4th. Westover Park will reopen to the public at 8am on July 5th.
- The rain date for fireworks is scheduled for July 5th. In the event of rain, closures for Westover Park will be the same as listed above on July 5th.
- The Municipal Parking Lot by the Turner Pavilion and the City Hall parking lot will be closed for the festival at 7:00am on July 4. All vehicles left in these lots will be towed at the owner's expense.
- Downtown will be accessible to vehicular traffic; drivers do not need to avoid downtown because of the festivities. HDR encourages drivers to allow for extra travel time and to be mindful of street closures and alternate routes to parking. Free parking is located throughout downtown and labeled with blue & gold signs. Please check the road closures that will prohibit street and lot parking at those locations.
- Water Street and Elizabeth Street parking decks will remain open.