The City of Harrisonburg supports special events that provide enjoyable opportunities for residents and visitors, and contribute to a vibrant, livable and sustainable city.
Special events may include fundraisers, festivals, parades, 5Ks, cycling and recreation events and/or similar gatherings on public spaces.
Venues available for special events in the City of Harrisonburg include, but are not limited to, Harrisonburg City Parks, the Turner Pavilion & Park Area, and Court Square in downtown.
A number of city departments are involved in the logistics necessary to produce a safe and successful community event. In an effort to simplify the application process for community organizations and event planners, the City of Harrisonburg has provided the guidelines below.
These guidelines must be met in order to ensure a positive experience for the community:
Download the Special Event Application Form.
Organizers of all special events held within the City of Harrisonburg, both new and annual events, must complete the special events application if requesting public assistance (e.g., facility rental, police or fire support, etc.) and/or the closure of a street for any scheduled event.
- The completed application may be emailed or hand-delivered to the Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance office located on the 2nd floor of the Hardesty Higgins House (212 South Main Street) between 9:00am - 4:00pm.
- The application will be reviewed only if it is completed and all supporting documents are included.
- Event organizers may be requested to meet with City staff to review event plans, layout, and event logistics.
- If the application is approved by City staff, the application will be submitted to Harrisonburg City Council for their consideration.
- The event applicant or a representative must be present at the City Council meeting in which the event is reviewed by Council.