Last Updated: December 20, 2016
- Citizens that have cars with high mileage can bring them by City Hall before December 31st or provide a copy of a state inspection or repair paperwork that has the mileage close to year end so that can be considered when working the 2017 assessment.
- An appraiser with the Harrisonburg Real Estate Office will be visiting your property.
- In accordance with State Law, a reassessment is underway for the purpose of equalizing real estate assessments. Your cooperation will assist us in a fair appraisal of your property. You may contact our office if you have any questions (540-432-7795). You can confirm the assessed value and any property characteristics we have listed.
Taxes 101 for Harrisonburg
- The Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue:
- Appraises and assesses for taxation all real property in the City;
- Assesses individual and business personal property taxes;
- Assists citizens with filing Virginia income taxes;
- Administers special taxes on meals, lodging, admissions, utility services, and mobile communications;
- And administers the City's real estate tax relief and exemption programs and the land use special assessment program.
- The Treasurer's Office:
- Collects tax bills for individual and personal property tax, real estate tax, receipts of state collected taxes, cigarette taxes, and meals and lodging taxes.
- The City uses revenue from business and property taxes to maintain the city budget approved by City Council.
- State Income Tax Returns must be filed by May 1. View all other filing dates.
- Personal Property Tax information
- Real Estate Tax information
- If you are moving or have a correction for mailing local tax forms, please use the Change of Address online form.
- Tax Help
- Tax Relief for the Elderly & Disabled
- Surviving Spouse Benefit[66KB] (New 1/1/15)