All water and sewer connections are managed by the Billing Division of the Public Utilities Department.
Office Location: 2155 Beery Rd, Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Phone Number: 540-434-6783 | Fax Number: 540-434-9769
Connection to Existing Water Service - How to Apply
Connection for New Construction
The City realizes that people need to plan for water and sewer services before they can build a new house or a business facility. The Department of Public Utilities wants to make it as easy as possible to obtain these connections.
Step 1 - Learn how to get water and sewer service to a building site, whether a single building or a major development. The Public Utilities Department can tell you:
- If an existing public main is located close enough to meet needs.
- The expected water pressure conditions.
- The expected fire suppression capacity.
- The guidelines for the size and type of water meter to install.
- The guidelines for determining whether gravity or pumped sewer service is required.
All information is free.
Step 2 - The customer pays applicable fees established in the Harrisonburg City Code of Ordinance 7-4-22. Fees vary based on the size and type of building.
Construction for new connections is a cooperative venture of the City and the Customer. The Field Division of Public Utilities is responsible for constructing the new service from the existing main to the street right-of-way or easement line. The Customer is responsible for the service connection from the right-of-way or easement line to the dwelling. The work to be completed by city forces is scheduled when the applicable fees are paid.
Step 3 - The customer should contact the Billing Division of Public Utilities when the service line from the main to the building is completed.
Contact Information: Phone: 540-434-9959 | Email: email@example.com
A Customer Service Representative will:
- Schedule a site visit by a Technician who will ensure the line is properly connected and that water and sewer will be available when you are ready.
- Assist you in establishing an account as a new customer.
You are ready to move in!