The City of Harrisonburg's Human Resource Department administers programs to attract, motivate, and retain an efficient and productive workforce. The Human Resource Department manages programs and services for a workforce of approximately 600 full-time employees and part-time/temporary staff primarily responsible for providing government services to our citizens.
To design and implement policies and programs to attract, support, develop and retain a diverse and productive workforce. To positively influence the execution of human resource programs to create a responsive atmosphere that values and supports creativity, risk-taking, integrity and diversity.
Human Resources Department's services include:
- Providing employment;
- Promoting a diversified workforce;
- Developing training programs designed to meet the needs of the workforce by enhancing knowledge, skills, and abilities and preparing employees for future challenges and opportunities;
- Providing employee relations counseling to city employees to improve work relations and the work environment;
- Developing human resources policies to meet the needs of the organization while ensuring compliance;
- Administering a total compensation program which attracts applicants, maintains internal equity, competes in relevant labor markets, and retains high performers;
- Serve in a consultative role with city departments to meet the changing needs of the organization and population.
Full-time employees are offered a benefits package including:
- Health Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Flexible Benefits Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Retirement with Virginia Retirement System
- 457 Deferred Comp
- Paid leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Assistance
As City Council continues its work of recruitment for the next City Manager, they are seeking your input on the issues important to you and the items you believe should be priorities for the successful candidate. While City Council is responsible for the hiring of the next City Manager, council members want to ensure that the next manager of the City is familiar with the issues of importance to the residents. To this end, Novak Consulting Group, the firm hired by Council to assist with this endeavor, has prepared a short survey for residents to complete. Please provide your input through the online survey and thank you in advance for your time.