There are 12 main parks in Harrisonburg City along with several other properties that are maintained by the Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation. These parks offer several natural surface trails, athletic fields, picnic shelters, playgrounds, basketball courts, and many other amenities.
View our Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation Facilities Guide [3KB] for more information about our recreation facilities.
Special Weather Announcement - December 15, 2020:
In conjunction with the Winter Storm Warning issued by the National Weather Service for our area, the City Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation Department would like to make the following announcements:
- All Parks and Recreation programs and reservations will be cancelled on Wednesday, December 16 and Thursday, December 17. This includes all city run programs in our Parks and Recreation facilities.
- All city parks will be closed starting at 4:00pm (one hour earlier than normal) on Tuesday, December 15 to prepare for significant winter weather. This includes all gates to all parks with the exception of the Westover Pool / CAC main parking lot, which will close following tonight’s programs.
*Please note that during significant winter weather, parks will be closed to vehicular traffic but remain open for pedestrian use. Many people enjoy sledding and exploring our parks when snow has fallen.
While thinking of these guidelines, please remember to not park cars in front of gates or to block entryways to our parks. At various times over the next two days, maintenance crews will be hard at work entering and exiting our parks to remove snow and ice from park roadways. If vehicles block entry roads, it will delay snow removal, thus delaying re-opening our parks.
Enjoy playing in the winter weather, have fun, and stay safe everyone.
Update - June 15, 2020: The City’s Reopening Committee is currently discussing a timeline for reopening City facilities. Currently only Westover Pool is open for lap swimming only, and Heritage Oaks Golf Course is open for scheduled tee times. Activities at these facilities will return when we know we can safely do so, with the health and wellness of our visitors and staff being our priority. We hope to begin reopening some facilities in the coming days with restrictions in place at first.
Open green spaces and walking trails where patrons can practice safe social distancing methods are still open at this time. Visit the City's Coronavirus COVID-19 page for additional information on the City's approach.
- Except as otherwise* noted city parks shall be open from 8:00am-9:00pm, seven days a week beginning the second Monday of March (after the start of Daylight Savings Time DST.)
- Except as otherwise* noted city parks shall be open from 8:00am-5:00pm, seven days a week beginning the last business day prior to the end of DST.
- *Denton Park will be open week-days from 8:00am-5:00pm.
- *Riven Rock Park will be open April 16-October 30.
- It is unlawful for a person to enter or remain in a public park without a Facility Use Permit when a public park is closed or when the person is barred or trespassed from being present in a public park.
List of Parks:
- A Dream Come True Playground
- Bluestone Trail
- Denton Park
- Dog Park (Smithland Road)
- Eastover Tennis Courts
- Heritage Oaks Golf Course
- Hillandale Park
- Kiwanis Park
- Liberty Park
- Morrison Park
- Purcell Park
- Ralph Sampson Park
- Ramblewood Athletic Complex
- Riven Rock Park
- Rocktown Trails
- Smithland Road Soccer Complex
- Welcome Home Garden
- Westover Park
- Westover Skate Park