City of Harrisonburg real estate tax payments are due by June 5.
Though City Hall is still closed to the public due to COVID-19, there are a number of ways you can pay your bill, including:
- Paying online. Online payments require an additional service fee that will be added at the time of payment. E-Checks are only 45 cents.
- Paying in person using our City Hall Drop Box. You can make cash, check or money order payments in the Drop Box in the center of the parking lot in front of City Hall, at 409 S. Main St. Cash payments should be limited to Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm, and a receipt will be mailed following processing. Checks or money orders can be placed in the Drop Box at any time.
- Paying by mail. You can mail your payment and return stub to City of Harrisonburg, Treasurers Office, P.O. Box 1007, Harrisonburg, VA 22803-1007. Payments must be postmarked by the United States Postal Service by Friday, June 5, to avoid a late fee.
Por favor recuerden que los impuestos por bienesraícesvencen el 5 de junio.
Aunque el ayuntamiento esté cerrado al público debido al COVID-19, puede pagar los impuestos adeudados a través de los siguientes medios:
- Pague por internet. Pagos por internet requieren un cargo por servicio adicional el cual será añadido al momento de la transacción. Pagos “E-Checks” conllevan un cargo de sólo 45 centavos.
- En persona utilizando el buzón municipal. Puede pagar utilizando el buzón localizado en el estacionamiento/parqueo del ayuntamiento en 409 S. Main St. Puede pagar por medio de cheque, giro o por efectivo. Pagos por efectivo deberán ser limitados a las horas de 8am a 5pm, lunes a viernes. El recibo será enviado por correo después de procesar el pago. Cheques o giros pueden ser depositados en el buzón a cualquier hora.
- Por correo. Puede enviar su pago, junto al talón de pago, por correo a City of Harrisonburg, Treasurers Office, P.O. Box 1007, Harrisonburg, VA 22803-1007. Los pagos deberán estar matasellados por el correo (United States Postal Service) a no más tardar del 5 de junio para evitar cargos por pagos tardíos.
The tax rate for the City of Harrisonburg is .86 cents per hundred of assessed value, effective July 1, 2019. This rate is subject to change annually. The tax rate is set by City Council and decided upon each year in April. [35KB] Historical real estate tax rates.
Taxes are calculated on a fiscal year basis and are billed twice a year for:
July 1 – December 31 (due December 5)
January 1 – June 30 (due June 5)
Information/Application Surviving Spouse Benefit Real Property Tax Exemption [66KB]
Change of Address
Upon moving, you must notify the taxing authority (Commissioner of the Revenue) of your new billing address as soon as possible so that your record can be updated. All billings will be mailed to the last known address on record.
Note: If a due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is extended to the next succeeding business day.
Please be aware that failure to receive a bill does not relieve your obligation to pay the tax due by the due date. Failure to pay the tax due by the due date will result in a late payment penalty of 10% or a $10.00 (minimum) being assessed. An annual interest of 10% begins January 1 (First half) and July 1 (Second half).
Make all checks payable to the City of Harrisonburg. We do not accept credit card payments in the office. You can only use credit cards, debit cards, and electronic checks through the online system.