Free Pickup Play Program at Eastover Tennis Courts.
The Tennis United Free Pickup Play program is every Sunday evening starting at 6:00pm, at Eastover Tennis Courts, during the months of March through November. All Players are welcome to come and play in the program. The courts remain lit until 10:00pm. Format of play is all players play one complete set with their group of players, and rotate to play with other players for one set. National Tennis Rating Program (NTRP) and Social play formats are used to accommodate all players. This will enable you to enjoy socializing with new players, and also playing with different abilities of players. For more information about the program contact Curt Updike of Tennis United at TennisUno@gmail.com.
Harrisonburg Tennis Patrons (HTP)
HTP is a membership organization that offers pickup play, outdoors and indoors. They also have a yearly tournament in the city in late June. For more information on HTP visit www.htp.usta.com.
Where are the tennis courts in the city parks?
Why Play Tennis?
- Tennis is fun – Take a lesson from your childhood, when exercise meant meeting friends, playing, running, laughing, and hitting a rubber ball.
- Tennis is the sport of a lifetime – the USTA Annual holds National Championships for players aged from 12 to 90 years old by gender and age division.
- Tennis will make your body stronger – tennis builds "core strength" for use in other sports and has the capacity to burn 493 calories per hour (on average).
- Tennis is a good social outlet and good for your career – There are fewer better or easier ways to meet new people or get to know someone than by trading forehands or matching strategic wits on the tennis court.
- Tennis play promotes a healthy heart – The Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, ranked #1 in America for heart care, calls tennis an ideal sport for a healthy heart.