Harrisonburg Summer Tennis Lessons
These tennis classes are designed to teach and develop skills in a fun and positive environment. These classes combine instruction, drills, and play. Participants must supply their own tennis racket. Classes take place at Purcell Park on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for two sessions, June 11-21 and July 16-26. Time frame depends on age. For more information on fees and times, visit page 10 of the Activity Guide. For additional information contact Tommy Thomas at 540-433-2474 or Tommy.Thomas@harrisonburgva.gov.
Harrisonburg Tennis Patrons (HTP)
HTP is a membership organization that offers pickup play, outdoors and indoors. They also have a yearly tournament in the city in late June. For more information on HTP visit www.htp.usta.com.
Where are the tennis courts in the city parks?
Why Play Tennis?
- Tennis is fun – Take a lesson from your childhood, when exercise meant meeting friends, playing, running, laughing, and hitting a rubber ball.
- Tennis is the sport of a lifetime – the USTA Annual holds National Championships for players aged from 12 to 90 years old by gender and age division.
- Tennis will make your body stronger – tennis builds "core strength" for use in other sports and has the capacity to burn 493 calories per hour (on average).
- Tennis is a good social outlet and good for your career – There are fewer better or easier ways to meet new people or get to know someone than by trading forehands or matching strategic wits on the tennis court.
- Tennis play promotes a healthy heart – The Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, ranked #1 in America for heart care, calls tennis an ideal sport for a healthy heart.