Due to the increasing demands of our water resources, the Department of Public Utilities is providing the following information in an effort to educate and stress the importance of becoming more water efficient. A significant level of water conservation can be achieved without major changes in lifestyle. Simply watering landscapes properly and utilizing efficient plumbing fixtures and appliances in the home can reduce the per-capita water use by 25 percent.
The City's current water supply information can be found in the table below. The triggers shown in the table can also be viewed as conservation levels. For example, in the current report focusing on the Dry River/Switzer Dam source we are 761 MG from the lowest level of conservation effort as defined by the Drought Preparedness and Response Plan [755KB].
Recommended conservation practices are as follows:
(All files are in PDF format.)
- Press release - Residents Reminded to Voluntarily Conserve [408KB]
- Drought Preparedness and Response Plan [755KB]
- For suggested conservation tips for residents see page 21 of the plan document.
- Upper Shenandoah River Basin Water Supply Plan [5.3MB]
- City's Green Efforts - Electrical Optimization Strategy [43KB]