The Northend Greenway is envisioned to be a 2.5-mile shared use path connecting people in north Harrisonburg with places they want to go. From Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community, to residential neighborhoods, Eastern Mennonite University, Eastern Mennonite School, community centers, and more.
The Northend Greenway project will be designed and constructed in multiple phases.
[2MB] Download Map
Phase I of the Northend Greenway begins at the intersection of Mt. Clinton Pike & Virginia Avenue to the end of Suter Street near North Liberty Street. The Northend Greenway parallels Blacks Run for significant distance. This phase is funded by Virginia Department of Transportation's Revenue Sharing Funds and city funds.
Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc (VHB) will be assisting the City of Harrisonburg with engineering services for the Northend Greenway Phase I.
- Issue Request for Proposals for Consulting Engineering Firm - December 2014 - January 2015
- Selection of Consulting Engineering Firm - February 2015
- Engineering Design Begins - March 2015
- Right of Way Phase - Currently Underway
- Construction - Unknown
MT. CLINTON PIKE ROAD IMPROVEMENT
A portion of the Northend Greenway, between Park Road and Virginia Avenue, will be constructed with the Mt. Clinton Pike Road Improvement Project.
No schedule or funding for Phase II has been determined yet.
- March 2011 - At the request of New Community Project, City Council amends the City Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan to include the Northend Greenway.
- June 2013 - City of Harrisonburg and Northend Greenway steering committee complete the Northend Greenway Design Principles, which serves as a visioning document for the design of the shared use path.
- Fall 2013 - the City was awarded $600,000 in Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Revenue Sharing Funds and City Council committed a $600,000 local match for a total of $1.2 million for the Northend Greenway project.
- February 2014 - the City awards Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc (VHB) to assist the City with engineering services for the Northend Greenway Phase I.
Questions? Contact Tom Hartman, PE, Assistant Director of Public Works at Tom.Hartman@HarrisonburgVA.gov.
For questions about the Northend Greenway, non-profit organization, visit the Northend Greenway website.