The Northend Greenway is envisioned to be a 2.5-mile shared use path connecting people in north Harrisonburg with places they want to go. From Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community, to residential neighborhoods, Eastern Mennonite University, Eastern Mennonite School, community centers, and more.
January 23, 2019
Construction on the Northend Greenway, Phase I began last month, and is expected to be complete in the spring.
September 21, 2018
It is with great pleasure that the City of Harrisonburg announces the execution of a comprehensive agreement authorizing construction of phase I of the long anticipated Northend Greenway. This portion of the greenway will begin near the railroad tracks on Mount Clinton Pike, and end at Suter Street. It will be approximately 0.6 miles long, and will be accompanied by the restoration of Blacks Run, adjacent to the path. The project is scheduled to complete construction this spring.
The Northend Greenway project will be designed and constructed in multiple phases. The City continues to work with stakeholders and funders to obtain the resources need to build the other phases of the Greenway.
[2MB] Download Map
Phase I of the Northend Greenway begins at the intersection of Mt. Clinton Pike & Virginia Avenue to the end of Suter Street near North Liberty Street. The Northend Greenway parallels Blacks Run for significant distance. This phase is funded by Virginia Department of Transportation's Revenue Sharing Funds and city funds.
MT. CLINTON PIKE ROAD IMPROVEMENT
A portion of the Northend Greenway, between Park Road and Virginia Avenue, will be constructed with the Mt. Clinton Pike Road Improvement Project.
No schedule or funding for Phase II has been determined yet.
- March 2011 - At the request of New Community Project, City Council amends the City Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan to include the Northend Greenway.
- June 2013 - City of Harrisonburg and Northend Greenway steering committee complete the Northend Greenway Design Principles, which serves as a visioning document for the design of the shared use path.
- Fall 2013 - the City was awarded $600,000 in Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Revenue Sharing Funds and City Council committed a $600,000 local match for a total of $1.2 million for the Northend Greenway project.
- February 2014 - the City awards Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc (VHB) to assist the City with engineering services for the Northend Greenway Phase I.
- December 2016 - the City of Harrisonburg received an unsolicited proposal through the Public-Private Education Facilities and Infrastructure Act (PPEA) to design and construct Phase I of the Northend Greenway, and restore Blacks Run, parallel to the path.
- July 2017 - The City entered into an interim agreement with Momentum Earthworks for design and environmental work associated with Phase I of the Northend Greenway.
- September 2018 – City enters into comprehensive agreement with Momentum Earthworks to construct the Northend Greenway from Mount Clinton Pike to Suter Street. Construction is anticipated to be complete in Spring, 2019.
Questions? Contact Tom Hartman, PE, Assistant Director of Public Works at Tom.Hartman@HarrisonburgVA.gov.