The Northend Greenway is envisioned to be a 2.5-mile shared-use path connecting people in north Harrisonburg with places they want to go. From Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community to residential neighborhoods, Eastern Mennonite University, Eastern Mennonite School, community centers, and more. According to the Virginia Statewide Bicycle and Pedestrian Count Network, an average of 85 people enjoy biking and walking the Northend Greenway each day.
April 10, 2021 - Arbor Day tree planting and Blacks Run Clean Up Day planned. Staff and volunteers will plant 50 trees along the section nearest Mt. Clinton Pike. Additional groups of volunteers will clean up sections of Blacks Run that run alongside the Northend Greenway and other areas of the City.
Register to volunteer!
The Northend Greenway is being constructed in multiple phases. The City continues to work with stakeholders and funders to obtain the resources needed to build the remaining segments of the Greenway.
Phase I of the Northend Greenway extends approximately 0.6 miles from the end of Suter Street, near North Liberty Street, to Mt. Clinton Pike at the railroad tracks. This phase was funded by City funds and matching funds from the VDOT Revenue Sharing Program. The Northend Greenway parallels Blacks Run for a significant distance and phase I of the path was accompanied by the restoration of Blacks Run along the path. Phase I of the project was completed in the Fall of 2019.
September 21, 2018
The City of Harrisonburg announced the execution of a comprehensive agreement authorizing construction of phase I of the long-anticipated Northend Greenway. This portion of the greenway begins near the railroad tracks on Mount Clinton Pike and ends at Suter Street. It is approximately 0.6 miles long. Phase I was accompanied by the restoration of Blacks Run, adjacent to the path. Phase I of the project was completed in the Spring of 2019.
The Northend Greenway project has been designed to be constructed in multiple phases. The City continues to work with stakeholders and funders to obtain the resources need to build the other phases of the Greenway.
MT. CLINTON PIKE ROAD IMPROVEMENT
A portion of the Northend Greenway, between Park Road and Virginia Avenue, will be constructed with the Mt. Clinton Pike Road Improvement Project. Construction funding has been secured and construction is expected to begin in 2022. Funding for this project has been provided by City funds and matching funds from the VDOT Revenue Sharing Program. Construction of the path along Mt. Clinton Pike between Virginia Ave and the railroad tracks is also expected to begin in 2022, with funding from the Virginia Outdoors Foundation.
- March 2011 - At the request of New Community Project, City Council amends the City Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan to include the Northend Greenway.
- June 2013 - City of Harrisonburg and Northend Greenway steering committee complete the Northend Greenway Design Principles, which serves as a visioning document for the design of the shared-use path.
- Fall 2013 - the City was awarded $600,000 in Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Revenue Sharing Funds and City Council committed a $600,000 local match for a total of $1.2 million for the Northend Greenway project.
- February 2014 - the City awards Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc (VHB) to assist the City with engineering services for the Northend Greenway Phase I.
- December 2016 - the City of Harrisonburg received an unsolicited proposal through the Public-Private Education Facilities and Infrastructure Act (PPEA) to design and construct Phase I of the Northend Greenway, and restore Blacks Run, parallel to the path.
- July 2017 - The City entered into an interim agreement with Momentum Earthworks for design and environmental work associated with Phase I of the Northend Greenway.
- September 2018 – City enters into a comprehensive agreement with Momentum Earthworks to construct the Northend Greenway from Mount Clinton Pike to Suter Street. Construction is anticipated to be complete in Spring, 2019.
- December 2018 - Construction on the Northend Greenway, Phase I began and is expected to be complete in 2019.
- August 29, 2019 - Construction on Phase I of the Northend Greenway has been completed.
- September 4, 2019 - Ribbon-cutting to celebrate the opening of the Northend Greenway's official opening. Held at the Suter Street intersection of the Northend Greenway.
- October 24, 2020 - Arbor Day *Revisited* project. Staff and volunteers planted 50 trees along the section nearest Liberty St.
- March 9, 2021 - Planning and development of the Mt Clinton Pike section of the Northend Greenway has begun. Construction funding has been secured with construction expected to begin in 2022. [295KB] Download Map
Questions? Contact Tom Hartman, PE, Director of Public Works at Tom.Hartman@HarrisonburgVA.gov.