How it works:
Residents are responsible for taking their own, presorted, recyclable materials to the center or mobile unit. Once at drop-off location, the items will need to be placed into the appropriately labeled container. An attendant will be on site to provide assistance.
*Please maintain social distancing at all times. We recognize this can be an educational opportunity, but for safety reasons, children should remain in vehicle.
Materials accepted in marked bins:
- #1 Plastic
- #2 Plastic
- Plastic bags
- Household Batteries (AA, AAA, 9V, etc.)
- Aluminum Beverage Cans
- Tin Cans
- Office Paper (Shredded or White)
- Newspaper, magazines, junk mail
- Bulk (i.e. furniture, mattress, boxspring, tv, stereo, computer) - *Convenience Center only
- Yard Debris (tree/brush/shrub trimmings and bagged leaves only) - *Convenience Center only
- Bagged Grass Clippings - *Convenience Center only
- Scrap Metal (i.e. appliance with freon removed, washer, dryer, bed frame, lawnmower, barbecue grill) - *Convenience Center only
Materials NOT accepted:
- #3-#7 Plastic
- Prescription medication
- Household Hazardous Waste (Biannual collection)
- Automotive Parts
- Construction Debris (accepted at Rockingham County Landfill)
- Compost (Harrisonburg Farmers Market)
Recycling Convenience Center - On Friday, June 12, the center returned to its regular hours: 8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday to Friday, and 8:00am to noon on Saturdays. To ensure social distancing and traffic flow, visitors must follow the directions of the attendant on site, as well as directional signage. For your safety, only one person may exit the vehicle, and they should wear a mask while unloading. There will be touch-free hand sanitizer on site. We ask for your patience as you wait your turn as we expect a large turnout. To help expedite the process, please pre-sort your recycling.
2055 Beery Road, Harrisonburg, VA
Hours of operation:
Monday through Friday*
*Closed for city holidays.
Recycling Mobile Unit
Hours of operation: 8:00am-12:00pm *Weather permitting and closed for city holidays.
Monday - Lucy Simms Center - 620 Simms Ave.
Tuesday - Westover Park - 305 S Dogwood Dr.
Wednesday - Park View Mennonite Church - 1600 College Ave
Thursday - W. Gay St. - Parking lot for walking track adjacent to Waterman Elementary
Saturday - Farmer's Market - 345 S Main St.
*Please Note: In the event the Mobile Recycling unit reaches capacity, attendant is required to close early.