Recycling Convenience Center Opens
Starting Monday, March 19 the Public Works Department will accept recyclable material at the Recycling Convenience Center, 2055 Beery Road.
Hours of operation:
Monday through Friday
The collection will eventually expand into Saturday hours.
Recyclable materials accepted:
- All plastics
- Newspaper and magazines
How it works:
Residents are responsible for taking their own recyclable materials to the center. Once at the center, the items will need to be sorted into the appropriate container. An attendant will be on site to provide assistance.
Change in the Solid Waste and Single Stream Collection Program
The Harrisonburg Public Works Department is in the process of studying the City's solid waste and single stream collection program and considering all alternative options.
At the end of February, the City was notified unexpectedly that effective immediately van der Linde Recycling will no longer operate its household waste processing facility. The City's contract with this organization was to have continued until July 13, 2018.
The collection operations of residential waste will not change at this time; however, the disposal will temporarily be different. Starting Monday, March 5, all residential waste will be disposed of at the Rockingham County landfill.
City staff is in the midst of evaluating all options and researching the most efficient and effective waste collection and recycling processes.
Anyone with questions may contact the Public Works Department at 540-434-5928.
View the Harrisonburg trash collection map (collection zones) [294KB]
- Refuse and recycling pickup for holidays: Holiday Schedule.
- Containers are to be placed on the back of the curb on the property line by 7:00am on the collection day and not before 4:00pm on the day previous to pick up.
- For the Downtown Central Business District, containers should be placed out for pick up between 6:00am and 11:00am on the scheduled collection day.
- Businesses and Residents are limited to 5 bags/containers per week. All refuse should be in leak free bags or containers and NOT weigh more than 75 pounds or have more than 35 gallon capacity each.
- Bundles: Maximum size = 4 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet high. Maximum weight = 75 pounds. Maximum limb diameter is 2 inches. Must be bounded or tied with a binder strong enough to permit handling.
- If bags or containers fail during handling the property owner or occupant will assume clean up. The trash container should have outside handles.
Businesses, who have city or private trash collection, are still encouraged to recycle the below mentioned items separately and the city will continue to collect from those businesses. Continue setting out the below mentioned recyclable materials as no changes to this program will take place for businesses with regard to these items.
Contact the Public Works Department at 540-434-5928 to schedule frequent pick up.
- Break down and stack the cardboard
- Do not place cardboard in a recycling bin with other recyclables
- White, colored, sticky notes, envelopes, and large mailing envelopes are all accepted
- Construction paper is NOT accepted
- Sort office paper from other materials
Questions? Call Public Works at 540-434-5928.