Recycling Convenience Center
2055 Beery Road, Harrisonburg, VA
Hours of operation:
Monday through Friday
- All plastics (#1-#7, including plastic bags)
- Household Batteries (AA, AAA, 9V, etc.)
- Aluminum Beverage Cans
- Tin Cans
- Office Paper (Shredded or White)
- Newspaper, magazines, junk mail
- Bulk (i.e. furniture, mattress, boxspring, tv, stereo, computer)
- Yard Debris (tree/brush/shrub trimmings and leaves only)
- Grass Clippings
- Scrap Metal (i.e. appliance with freon removed, washer, dryer, bed frame, lawnmower, barbecue grill)
How it works:
Residents are responsible for taking their own recyclable materials to the center. Once at the center, the items will need to be sorted into the appropriate container. An attendant will be on site to provide assistance.
Materials NOT accepted:
Change in the Solid Waste and Single Stream Collection Program
The Harrisonburg Public Works Department is in the process of studying the City's solid waste and single stream collection program and considering all alternative options.
At the end of February, the City was notified unexpectedly that effective immediately van der Linde Recycling will no longer operate its household waste processing facility. The City's contract with this organization was to have continued until July 13, 2018.
The collection operations of residential waste will not change at this time; however, the disposal will temporarily be different. Starting Monday, March 5, all residential waste will be disposed of at the Rockingham County landfill.
City staff is in the midst of evaluating all options and researching the most efficient and effective waste collection and recycling processes.
Anyone with questions may contact the Public Works Department at 540-434-5928.
View the Harrisonburg trash collection map (collection zones) [294KB]
- Refuse and recycling pickup for holidays: Holiday Schedule.
- Containers are to be placed on the back of the curb on the property line by 7:00am on the collection day and not before 4:00pm on the day previous to pick up.
- For the Downtown Central Business District, containers should be placed out for pick up between 6:00am and 11:00am on the scheduled collection day.
- Businesses and Residents are limited to 5 bags/containers per week. All refuse should be in leak free bags or containers and NOT weigh more than 75 pounds or have more than 35 gallon capacity each.
- Bundles: Maximum size = 4 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet high. Maximum weight = 75 pounds. Maximum limb diameter is 2 inches. Must be bounded or tied with a binder strong enough to permit handling.
- If bags or containers fail during handling the property owner or occupant will assume clean up. The trash container should have outside handles.
Small businesses, who have city or private trash collection, are still encouraged to source separate recyclables and drop at Recycling Convenience Center.