If you’re thinking about going solar, here are two fantastic resources that give you information about the basics of solar energy, your solar options, and questions to ask a solar professional:
- Residential Consumer Guide to Solar Power by the Solar Energy Industries Association, and
- Homeowner’s Guide to Going Solar published by the U.S. Department of Energy
Policies and Processes
More information is available on our Solar Permitting page.
Solar energy uses a renewable energy source – the sun – and provides many benefits for individuals and the community. It improves environmental quality by reducing carbon emissions and air pollution, and in Virginia, the solar energy industry supports nearly 4,000 jobs and over 250 companies. Solar saves money on energy costs as the price continues to drop from increasing demand and technological developments, and improves electric grid resilience during peak demand and other stresses to the system. Check out more great information about the economy and employment impacts of solar in Virginia.
Solar Maps and Potential
Financing, Incentives, and Tax Exemptions
Solar Rights and Procedure
Virginia’s solar easement law is similar to those in effect in other states. The Virginia Solar Easements Act of 1978 allows property owners to create binding solar easements for the purpose of protecting and maintaining proper access to sunlight. Here is a summary of Virginia law as it relates to solar rights, solar easements and local ordinances.
Job Training and Educational Opportunities
If you are interested in pursuing employment in the solar energy field, here are some links to regional and national educational courses, programs, and/or trainings offered from colleges, universities, technical institutions, and non-profits.
- Licensing Requirements for Solar Installers in Virginia
- The Solar Foundation’s Solar Training Network (Career Connections, Education & Workforce Partnerships)
Harrisonburg Solar Projects
Current Solar Campaigns
- The City of Harrisonburg, VA occasionally partners with area non profits to promote solar installing. Current active campaigns:
- Solarize Harrisonburg (April 2022 – June 2022) - https://solarizeva.org/