General Program Development Schedule
- Stormwater Advisory Committee met monthly beginning in February 2014 through March 2015
- November 12 and December 2, 2014 - Open House Meetings
- February 24, 2015 - City Council to consider Stormwater Utility Ordinance and Fee - Public Hearing
- March 10, 2015 - City Council adopted Stormwater Utility Ordinance and Fee
On November 26, 2013, City Council adopted bylaws establishing the Stormwater Advisory Committee (SWAC). The original Committee was comprised of eight members and one City Council representative serving as an ex-officio member. The members are appointed by City Council. Committee members represent:
a. Residents, civic leagues, homeowners associations.
b. Institutional and tax exempt entities including colleges and churches.
c. Business community including residential, commercial and industrial property owners, malls, and business groups.
d. Professional engineers, real estate developers, and construction contractors.
e. Special interest groups that represent economic development, environmental or outdoor recreation.
This Committee met once a month beginning in February 2013 through March 2014 to provide guidance, oversight and recommendations to City Council and staff in the implementation of a Stormwater Management Program that will meet the requirements set forth by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The City's Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit requires the City to prevent and control polluted runoff through implementing best management practices, which include public education and water quality activities, installing stormwater management practices like bioretention pervious pavers, rain barrels or cisterns, preserving green space, street sweeping, and properly storing chemicals to prevent spills.
With these new initiatives and requirements come added expenses to the City of Harrisonburg. The SWAC has spent time researching best practices and funding sources from other localities to determine the most efficient model for Harrisonburg.
|Original Committee Members, Positions||Appointed||Address|
|Dale Chesnut||1/14/14||452 W. Water Street, Harrisonburg|
|Kathy Holm||1/14/14||320 Dixie Avenue, Harrisonburg|
|William Jones||1/14/14||94 Laurel Street, Harrisonburg|
|Eldon Kurtz||1/14/14||555 E. Wolfe Street, Harrisonburg|
|William Latham||1/14/14||427 Mountain View Drive, Harrisonburg|
|Daniel Michael||1/14/14||1469 Mt. Crawford Avenue, Bridgewater|
|JM Snell||1/14/14||1310 Little Sorrell Drive, Harrisonburg|
|Ted Byrd, Ex-offico||12/10/13||238 Campbell Street, Harrisonburg|
On September 23, November 11, 2015 and February 24, 2015 the SWAC and city staff presented a draft stormwater utility ordinance and fee to City Council.
- Watch the September 23, 2014 Council Presentation video
- Download the September 23, 2014 [1MB] Council Presentation PowerPoint slides
- Watch the November 11, 2014 Council Presentation video
- Watch the February 24, 2015 Council Presentation video
- Download the February 24, 2015 [872KB] Council Presentation PowerPoint slides
- Watch the March 10, 2015 Council video
Two open house meetings were hosted by the City and the Stormwater Advisory Committee to continue educating and communicating with our residents regarding this topic. These took place on November 12 at Thomas Harrison Middle School and on December 2 at Spotswood Elementary School.
A public input and comment period was open until December 20, 2014. Comments were also accepted through Be Heard Harrisonburg's Managing Polluted Runoff discussion pages.
Open House Materials
- [400KB] Open House Flyer
- [120KB] Press Release - City to Host Two Open Houses on Stormwater Utility Ordinance and Fee
- [1MB] Open House Handout
- [13MB] Open House Information Boards
- Draft/ Proposed Stormwater Utility Ordinance
- Credit Manuals for Residential and Non-Residential
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING - Published February 9, 2015
[347KB] Notice of Public Hearing for February 24, 2015 City Council Meeting
Comments were received orally at the City Council meeting on February 24, 2015 during the public hearing. Watch the February 24, 2015 Council Presentation video.
Documents considered by City Council are below. Final adopted documents are on the Stormwater Utility Page.
- [222KB] Memorandum to City Council
- [967KB] Stormwater Utility - enabling state code of Virginia
- [489KB] Stormwater Utility Ordinance
- [279KB] Stormwater Advisory Committee Bylaws amendment
- [3MB] Stormwater Utility Fee Credit Manual for Residential
- [2MB] Stormwater Utility Fee Credit Manual for Non-Residential
- [93KB] Weeds, etc. on lots ("tall grass and weeds") Ordinance amendment
- [307KB] Summary of Public Outreach
- [9MB] Summary of Public Comments and copies of public comments received