Last Updated: December 27, 2013
- To report a large spill or emergency situation, please immediately contact the Harrisonburg Fire Department and Police at 9-1-1.
- To report water pollution, illicit discharges and illicit connections, you may fill out the online form or contact the Public Works Department at 540-434-5928. Learn more about illicit discharges and illicit connections.
- To report construction site issues, e.g. erosion and sediment control problems, please call the Department of Planning and Community Development at 540-432-7700.
- To report leaking sanitary sewer lines and other sanitary sewer related issues, please call the Public Utilities (Water/Sewer) Department at 540-434-9959.
- To report issues related to trash and solid waste, please call the Public Works Department at 540-434-5928
- If you are unsure who to call, please call the Police Department's non-emergency number: 540-434-4436.
If you are calling to report pollution in a jurisdiction that is not Harrisonburg, please contact the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.
What are illicit discharges and illicit connections?
An illicit discharge is an unlawful act of disposing dumping, spilling, emitting, or other discharge of any substance other than stormwater into the storm drain system; such as catch basins, yard inlet, or lakes and streams. Examples of illicit discharges:
- Paint being poured into or near a storm structure
- Changing oil or antifreeze over or near a storm structure
- Discarding yard waste, e.g. leaves and brush, in or near a storm structure
- Draining chlorinated swimming pool water in or near a storm structure
- Water from a washing machine emptying into a yard
An illicit connectionis an unlawful connection which allows the discharge of non-stormwater to the storm drain system or lakes and streams via pipe or other direct connection. Examples of illicit connections:
- Floor drains going into the storm drain system
- Wash water from laundromats or car washes tying into a storm drain system
- Pipe from a washing machine tying into a storm drain structure
- Sewer service pipe tying into a storm structure or emptying into Blacks Run