A demolition permit is required for any demolition or partial demolition of any building or structure which will improve or upgrade any property owned in the City of Harrisonburg. Please remember to accompany the demolition permit with the Building Permit Impervious Square Footage Form.
[461KB] Demolition Permit Application
Questions regarding demolition permits can be answered by the Community Development Building Inspections Division at 540-432-7700.
How to Apply for a Permit
Online: Submit applications, track and pay for permits online via the LAMA Permit Portal. If you are a contractor and need a registration code, call the Department of Community Development at 540-432-7700 or email email@example.com.
Via email: Permit applications and associated documents may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In person: Visit us at Community Development, 409 S Main St, 2nd Floor, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.
In order to obtain a demolition permit, the following information is required at the time of application:
- A site plan with the information as listed under the "Required Site Plan" section.
- The owner's complete name, present mailing address and phone number.
- The contractor's complete name, present mailing address, phone number, copy of the state class "A", "B", or "C" contractor's registration number, and city business license number.
- A copy of a written release from all utility companies stating that such utilities to the building or structures being demolished have been properly terminated.
- If applicable, a copy of the Certificate of Asbestos Inspection.
- A copy of all written notices to the owner(s) of the properties adjoining the projected demolition site.
- The appropriate fee with check made payable to the City of Harrisonburg.
Note: Depending on the complexity of the demolition, all the required information, the required site plan, and the approval of the Department of Public Works may not be requested for permit application.
Required Site Plan
A site plan showing the following shall be required for any demolition permit:
- A north indicator.
- The actual dimensions of the lot or lots drawn to a scale of 1" = 20' and drawn to the actual bearings of the lot(s).
- The actual location of all buildings or structures on the property in relation to the property lines.
- The actual location of the building(s) or structure(s) to be demolished.
The application will be reviewed in the Building Inspection Office and assuming there are not any problems, insufficient information or drawings, the permit will be issued. The permit is not valid until the permit fee has been paid and the permit placard is posted on the job site.
Approval by Department of Public Works
When necessary to infringe on a public right-of-way to demolish a building or structure, the Department of Public Works shall be notified in writing well in advance to coordinate any traffic pattern changes or other right-of-way infringements.
Posting of Permit
The demolition permit shall be displayed on the site where it is plainly visible from the street and shall not be removed until demolition is completed.
Upon completion of demolition, the Building Inspection Office shall be notified and an inspection shall be made on site to assure all debris has been removed and the site is properly filled and safe.
If work has not commenced within or is suspended for a period of six months from the issue date, the permit is invalid and voided.