Recent news articles and news releases from the Harrisonburg Fire Department:
- July 2016 - Free Pizza/Free Smoke Alarm Event - Wednesday, July 13, 2016! 4:00pm until 8:00pm. Mark your calendars!
- June 16, 2016 - The new City Mulch Ordinance goes into effect July 1, 2016. Read more.
- February 9, 2016 - Fire Chief Announces Retirement: Harrisonburg Fire Department Chief Larry Shifflett to retire August 1, 2016 after serving 47 years at HFD. [236KB] Press release.
- February 1, 2016 - Burn Awareness Week is February 1 - 7. Each year, over 450,000 burn injuries occur in the United States that are serious enough to require medical treatment. Children under five and older adults are at most risk. Please make sure to keep coffee cups, pans on the stove and cords out of the reach of children. Watch them every second while in the bathtub. And be available when a person with limited mobility is taking a bath in case of a fall.
- January 20, 2016 - The weather service is calling for a potentially severe winter storm for this upcoming weekend. Before the storm arrives please make sure you have items such as medications, extra batteries, flashlights, and blankets available in case of power outages. Heavy snow and windy conditions will make for treacherous driving and travel may be impossible for certain areas. Make sure your smoke alarms are working properly and listen for updates on local news stations. This storm will impact many, so please be prepared before the storm occurs.
- December 1, 2015 - Safety Sally will be visiting the Harrisonburg Fire Department's social media pages over the next 25 days with safety tips and lessons for people of all ages. [335KB] Press Release
- October 26, 2015 - With colder temperatures this week it is time to have your chimneys cleaned and inspected! Make sure your smoke alarms and CO Alarms are working and practice a home fire escape drill. The winter months are the leading time of year for home fires. Check your chimney before using the first time for cracks or creosote build up, check your smoke and CO alarms and plan a fire exit drill with your family. Let's all work together to make this a safe and happy winter season!
October 6-9 - International Walk/Bike to School Week. The Harrisonburg Fire Department and Safe Kids of the Central Shenandoah Valley coordinates walk to school events at numerous schools in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County. Some schools take the time to walk around the track before entering so that kids who must ride the bus get exercise too.
- October 2, 2015 - HFD prepares for Fire Prevention Week at Valley Mall; 10-5-15 through 10-10-15. [305KB] Press release.
October 2015 - Fire Prevention Week 2015 at the Valley Mall - 1925 East Market St. Interactive safety displays, give-a-ways, and lots of information on how to keep your family safe from fire. Group tours should contact the Fire Department at 540-432-7703. The display will be open during regular mall hours October 5-10, 2015.
Senior Citizen Fire Safety October 7th - 9:00am until noon. Light refreshments will be served. All senior citizens are welcome to attend!
- September 24, 2015 - Unattended candles start fire resulting in total loss of a city home. [272KB] Press release.