An electrical permit is required for any new construction, alterations, additions, swimming pools, and/or other types of electrical work performed in the City of Harrisonburg.
You may apply for an electrical permit on-line via the Permitting Web Portal or in person at the Community Development Building Inspections Division, 409 South Main Street, 2nd floor, Harrisonburg, VA.
[495KB] Electrical Permit Application
Questions regarding electrical permits can be answered by the Community Development Building Inspections Division at 540-432-7700.
In order to obtain an electrical permit, the following information is required at the time of application:
- Depending on the complexity of the project, drawings, and specifications may be required. These drawings and/or specifications would include, but not be limited to, floor plans showing the location of all receptacles, switches, light fixtures, and appliances. Service and feeder riser diagrams, load calculations for service and other panel boards, fault current information, ground fault protection information, and other plans, calculations, or specifications as may be deemed necessary by the Building Inspection Office.
- The owner's complete name, present mailing address, and telephone number.
- The electrician's or electrical contractor's complete name or business name, present mailing address, telephone number, certification number, copy of state class "A", "B" or "C" contractor's registration number, and city business license number.
- The appropriate fee, based on the total value of electrical work being done, made payable to City of Harrisonburg.
In most cases, permit requests submitted before 3:00 p.m. will be issued the same day. The permit is not valid until the permit fee has been paid and the permit placard is posted on the job site.
Posting of Permit
The electrical permit shall be displayed on the outside of building or premises where it is plainly visible from the street, and shall not be removed until building or renovation is complete and ready for occupancy.
Required Inspection Information
The following is a list of required inspections to be scheduled by the electrical contractor, owner or owner's authorized agent:
- Temporary service.
- Under slab-entrance conduits, etc.
- Trench-service entrance.
- Trench-including site lighting, etc.
- Rough-in-boxes set, wires pulled, proper connections, etc.
- Permanent service.
- Final-all fixtures, hard wired appliances, heating and air conditioning equipment, receptacles, and switches installed and operational.
- Other inspections as may be deemed necessary.
- A final electrical inspection is required prior to a final building inspection being scheduled.
- A permit becomes void if work has not commenced within, or is suspended for, a period of six (6) months from the date of issuance.
- If desiring to do so, the owner may do the work as long as the proper permit has been obtained, all required inspections are called for, and an affidavit is signed by the owner.