Toter trash carts are coming to Harrisonburg, April 2021! We are improving the way we collect trash in The Friendly City. We have completed the retrofitting of our sanitation trucks with trash cart tippers, which will make it easier to collect your trash. The next step is your selection of either the 48- or 96-gallon trash cart will be delivered to the serviced address starting April 7th. Didn't make a selection? Not to worry, you will receive one 96-gallon Toter trash cart. Once the Toter is delivered you should start using it for your trash collection right away.
The new Toter trash cart program will offer a wide range of benefits, including:
- Ease of use for citizens
- Improved curb appeal on "trash day" by making sure everyone has a large, uniform trash cart instead of placing bags on the ground
- Creating progress toward the City's Environmental Action Plan goals
- Increased employee safety by reducing the amount of lifting staff has to endure
- Cleaner streets and stormwater systems (thanks to enclosed, lidded trash carts keeping debris out of the City road and stormwater ways)
- Improved collection operations and efficiency
- Enhanced COVID-19 safety
Toters are here! Toter Delivery Flyer - English [388KB]
¡Los Toter están aquí! - Toter Delivery Flyer - Español [742KB]
Find out when your Toter will be delivered and what size: Interactive City of Harrisonburg Toter Map
Stay tuned for more information about the Toter trash cart program, coming Spring 2021!
Did you know?
Each Public Works Sanitation crew member physically handled more than 1 million pounds of refuse in 2019.