Toter trash carts are coming to Harrisonburg in Spring 2021! Your selection of either a 48- or 96-gallon trash cart will be delivered to residents' homes prior to the program's launch in Spring 2021. Didn't make a selection? Not to worry, you will receive one 96-gallon Toter trash cart. We expect delivery of Toter's to serviced addresses in late March.
See a 96-gallon Toter trash cart at the Mobile Recycling Unit or the Recycling Convenience Center locations. A 96-gallon Toter trash cart will be on-site for residents to check out and staff will be available to field questions. Come out and give a Toter trash cart a test pull.
The new Toter trash cart program will offer a wide range of benefits, including:
- Ease of use for citizens
- Improved curb appeal on "trash day" by making sure everyone has a large, uniform trash cart instead of placing bags on the ground
- Creating progress toward the City's Environmental Action Plan goals
- Increased employee safety by reducing the amount of lifting staff has to endure
- Cleaner streets and stormwater systems (thanks to enclosed, lidded trash carts keeping debris out of the City road and stormwater ways)
- Improved collection operations and efficiency
- Enhanced COVID-19 safety
Stay tuned for more information about the Toter trash cart program, coming Spring 2021!
Did you know?
Each Public Works Sanitation crew member physically handed more than 1 million pounds of refuse in 2019.