Harrisonburg's Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan provides a framework for enhancing the safety and attractiveness of walking and biking through on- and off-street improvements and public programs. The current Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan was adopted in 2010 and is now being updated for 2016.
2010 Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan
City Council adopted the updated Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan in July 2010 and the plan was amended in March 2011. Review the current plan below:
[833KB] Bicycle Plan Map
[865KB] Pedestrian Plan Map
2016 Update Schedule
- March 23, 2015 - Project kick off at Bicycle & Pedestrian Subcommittee meeting.
- May 19, 2015/ June 2015 - Public Workshop & public comment period
- Fall 2015 - Stakeholder Focus Group meetings
- Plan Draft Development
- Fall 2016 - Public Meeting/ Open House and Public Comment Period
- Public Adoption Process
- March 8, 2017 - Draft Plan presented to Planning Commission
- Spring 2017 - Anticipated adoption by City Council
Draft Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan
[300KB] Public Comments
Public Comment Period on the Draft Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan: November 16 to December 16, 2016
The public is invited to review and submit comments on the City’s draft Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan. The plan is available for download, below. A hard copy is also available for review at the Public Works office located at 320 E. Mosby Road. Please submit comments, in writing, to Erin Yancey, Public Works Planning Manager at Erin.Yancey@harrisonburgva.gov or by mail to: ATTN: Erin Yancey, Harrisonburg Public Works, 320 E. Mosby Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22801. Comments may also be submitted through http://beheardharrisonburg.org/. Comments will be accepted until December 16, 2016.
[340KB] Public Comment Form
November 16, 2016 - Public Meeting/Open House and Public Comment Period
A Harrisonburg Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan Public Meeting will be hosted on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 from 5:00pm-7:00pm at Keister Elementary School cafeteria (100 Maryland Ave, Harrisonburg). This will be an open house style public meeting.
Fall 2015 Focus Group Meeting Summaries
[241KB] Business & Economic Vitality
July 28, 2015 Presentation to City Council
[440KB] Powerpoint Presentation slides
May 19, 2015 Workshop Summary & Information Gathering Public Comment Period
[340KB] Public Comments
May 19, 2015 Public Workshop
A Harrisonburg Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan Public Workshop was hosted on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at Thomas Harrison Middle School, and a public comment period was open through June 17, 2015.
[187KB] Comment Form. You may print and mark up the city maps below to help explain your ideas.
- City Biking and Walking webpage - Learn more about walking and biking paths in the city, current transportation projects, Annual Harrisonburg & Rockingham Bike-Walk Summit, design standards and guidelines, City Council adopted plans, and more.
Questions? Contact Erin Yancey, Planning Manager, Public Works Department at 540-434-5928 or Erin.Yancey@harrisonburgva.gov.