Occupant Load Certificate

  • Increase
  • Normal
  • Decrease

Current Size: 80%

Occupant Load Certificate Permit Information

Occupant Load Certificates, also known as seating charts, are required for assembly uses such as restaurants, nightclubs, community centers, schools, churches, and any other structure. Occupant Load Certificates are also required when there is a change in a seating layout, building use, building addition or alteration, etc. Please contact the Building Inspections Division at 540-432-7700 to determine whether an Occupant Load Certificate is required.

How to Apply for a Permit

Online: Submit applications, track and pay for permits online via the LAMA Permit Portal. If you are a contractor and need a registration code, call the Department of Community Development at 540-432-7700 or email permits@harrisonburgva.gov.

Via email: Building Permit Application [289KB]  Permit applications may be emailed to permits@harrisonburgva.gov.

In person: Visit us at Community Development, 409 S Main St, 2nd Floor, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.

Building Codes Requirements

Occupant Load Certificates are issued in accordance with the provisions of the 2018 Virginia Construction Code (VCC) and the Code of Virginia. An occupancy layout produced by a registered design professional (RDP) is required, unless exempted as outlined in Sections 54.1-401, 54.1-402 or 54.1-402.1 of the Code of Virginia.

Note: An Occupant Load certificate is only required when the final occupant load is 50 or greater.


To report any problems with the links or other content on this page, please email Nyrma.Soffel@harrisonburgva.gov.