Any structure, enclosure or shelter which is constructed of canvas or pliable material supported in any manner except by air or the contents it protects.
Questions regarding tent permits can be answered by the Community Development Building Inspections Division at 540-432-7700.
When a permit is needed?
Tents or air-supported structures, or both, that cover an area of 900 square feet or less, including within that area all connecting areas or spaces with a common means of egress or entrance, provided such tents or structures have an occupant load of 50 or less persons are exempt from obtaining a permit from the building division, however, must still be code compliant for wind and snow load applications. Tents exceeding 400 square feet require an inspection by the Fire Department Office before use and must comply with the Virginia Fire Prevention Code.
What information is required?
A Site Plan is required to be submitted with each building permit application. A Site Plan shall include:
- The location and dimensions of all buildings presently on the site drawn to a scale of 1" = 20'.
- The location of the tent in relation to the existing buildings and property lines.
- A directional arrow indicating North.
- The measured distances from each property line(s) and existing building(s), in feet, to the edges of the tent.
- The manufacturer's installation instructions with anchoring requirements.
- Proper flame retardant certification in compliance with NFPA 701.
Information required on application
The owner's complete name, present mailing address, and telephone number.
- The contractor's complete name, present mailing address, telephone number, copy of state class "A", "B", or "C" contractor's registration, and city business license number.
- The appropriate fee, based on the total value - including labor and materials for building, plumbing and electrical work. Checks shall be made payable to the City of Harrisonburg.
Once an application has been submitted, it is forwarded to the planning and zoning division for review for zoning requirements. It is then returned to the building inspections division for final review, approval and issuance of the building permit. Please allow at least seven days for permit processing time.
Following is a list of required inspections:
- Building: final erection, anchoring, fire department inspection, and others as necessary.
- Plumbing: as necessary
- Electrical: as necessary
- Mechanical: as necessary
In addition to the building permit, if occupant load exceeds 50 persons, an engineer's stamped design, emergency lighting, exit signs, and seating plan may be required. Verify with the building plan reviewer prior to application.