Absentee voting provides a means for voters to participate in upcoming elections even though they may not be able to go to the polls on election day. Absentee voting in person begins at least 45 days before most elections and ends for in-person absentee voters on the Saturday before the election.
Bring your mail in ballot to the polls on Election Day!
- There will be drop boxes at each voting precinct on Election Day. Harrisonburg voters can drop off their ballots at any Harrisonburg voting precinct on November 3rd.
- If you have requested an absentee ballot and you would prefer to vote in person please bring your ballot to your normal polling location on Election Day. If you do not have your ballot with you, did not receive the ballot you requested, or have lost your ballot, you will have to vote provisionally.
Vote Absentee In Person (Early Voting)
You do not need an excuse to vote in person absentee (early voting), and you do not need to fill out an Absentee application.
You may vote early in City Hall (409 South Main St.) beginning 45 days before Election Day (September 18th) and ending the Saturday before Election Day (October 31st). To vote absentee in person you must be a registered voter of Harrisonburg, provide your name and address, and show an acceptable form of ID. The polling location in the atrium of Harrisonburg City Hall will be open Monday through Friday, 8:00am until 5:00pm, and the last two Saturdays of October (24th and 31st) from 8:00am until 4:00pm.
*Curbside voting is also available in the main parking lot of City Hall, and on the northside of the old Municipal Building.
Accessible equipment and/or curbside voting is available upon request.
Visit the Virginia Department of Elections for more information on in Person Absentee Voting (Early Voting).
Vote Absentee by Mail (Vote By Mail)
You may request a Vote By Mail application at the registrar's office or online at the Virginia Department of Elections website. The deadline to request a vote by mail ballot is Friday, October 23rd. Absentee ballots will be mailed out beginning September 18th through October 23rd. You can return your voted ballot by mail or in person (see below) as soon as you receive it. Make sure to follow the included instructions carefully.
Returning Your Completed Absentee (Vote By Mail) Ballot
You can drop your voted ballot in the mail, or return it directly to the Registrar's Office in person. If you return the voted ballot in person you need to return it to the General Registrar’s office. You can only return your own ballot in person, please do not deliver anyone else’s ballot to the office. Do NOT put your voted ballot in the Treasurer's Drop Box, or leave it in any other city department office.
To obtain an Absentee Ballot Application:
- Call your local Registrar's office at 540-432-7707
- Stop by your local Registrar's office at 409 South Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22801
- Online: Virginia Department of Elections