Absentee voting provides a means for voters to participate in upcoming elections before Election Day. In person Absentee Voting (Early Voting) begins at least 45 days before most elections and ends the Saturday before the Election Day.
In Person Absentee Voting for the November 2nd General Election Starts: Friday, September 17, 2021
In Person Absentee Voting Dates: September 17th – October 30th: Monday through Friday and on Saturday, October 23rd / October 30th, from 8:30am to 4:30pm
Vote Absentee In Person (Early Voting)
You do not need an excuse to vote in person absentee (early voting), and you do not need to fill out an Absentee application.
You may vote early in City Hall (409 South Main St.) beginning 45 days before Election Day and ending the Saturday before Election Day. To vote absentee in person you must be a registered voter of Harrisonburg, provide your name and address, and show an acceptable form of ID. Early voting is open Monday through Friday, 8:30am until 4:30pm, and the last two Saturdays from 8:30am until 4:30pm.
*Curbside voting is also available in the main parking lot of City Hall. When you arrive call the Registrar's office at 540-432-7707 to let us know that you need curbside service.
Accessible voting equipment and/or curbside voting is available upon request.
Visit the Virginia Department of Elections for more information on in Person Absentee Voting (Early Voting).
Vote Absentee by Mail (Vote By Mail)
You may request a Vote By Mail application at the registrar's office or online at the Virginia Department of Elections website. The deadline to request a vote by mail ballot is eleven days before a Primary or General Election. As a general rule, Absentee Ballots do not start being mailed out until 46 days before Election Day. Ballots may be returned as soon as they are completed. Make sure to follow the included instructions carefully.
Returning Your Completed Absentee (Vote By Mail) Ballot
You can drop your voted ballot in the mail, or return it directly to the Registrar's Office in person. You can only return your own ballot in person, please do not deliver anyone else’s ballot to the office. Do NOT put your voted ballot in the Treasurer's Drop Box, or leave it in any other city department office.
Ballot drop off locations for mailed absentee ballots will be available on the dates, hours and locations listed below for the November 2nd General Election:
- September 17th through October 30th Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm, and Saturday, October 23rd, and Saturday, October 30th, from 8:30am-4:30pm, in the Voter Registration Office at City Hall 409 South Main Street, Harrisonburg.
- Monday, October 25th, and Tuesday, October 26th from 8:30am until 6:00pm at the Lucy F. Simms Continuing Education Center 620 Simms Ave, Harrisonburg.
- Wednesday, October 27th and Thursday, October 28th from 8:30am until 6:00pm at the East Campus Dining Hall on JMU campus 1681 Carrier Dr, Harrisonburg.
- Friday, October 29th 8:30am until 6:00pm at Park Gables Visitor Center at Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community, 1491 Virginia Ave, Harrisonburg.
Bring your mail in ballot to the polls on Election Day!
- There will be drop boxes at each voting precinct on Election Day. Harrisonburg voters can drop off any Absentee Ballots at any Harrisonburg voting precinct on Election Day.
- If you have requested an Absentee Ballot, but you would prefer to vote in person, please bring your ballot with you on Election Day. If you do not have your ballot with you, or did not receive the your ballot, you will have to vote provisionally.
To obtain an Absentee Ballot Application:
- Call your local Registrar's office at 540-432-7707
- Stop by your local Registrar's office at 409 South Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22801
- Online: Virginia Department of Elections